Monday, September 14, 2009

What do my students need from this course?

The unit standard 13342, Food Costing, will be expiring at the end of the year and all information contained in this unit should be integrated through-out the rest of the programme.

To do this in a way that would be acceptable to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, the Otago Polytechnic and fit into our programme delivery I plan to develop self paced food costing exercises that will be graded by semester as part of the otago polytechnic certification for cookery.
Do I have to re-invent the wheel?
No...I will be using a lot of the theory we currently have but the mode and length of delivery will certainly change.
As I go through this process I will use this blog as my "Hub" and transfer the information through to moodle (my delivery platform) when ready.

In the main, cookery students are kinesthetic learners so my first thought is to keep the readings to a minimum.
We are training chefs to work within given food and wage costs, and to spend to much time or resources on the peripherals i.e. marketing, menu formatting or accounting, all-though important maybe out of context at this level.

3 comments:

  1. Ah - this is where the learning outcomes probably fit in.
    Are you able to write new learning outcomes for this course or do you have to stick with the ones that are expiring or something similar at least? Do you have any International Examination body that you have to relate to? e.g. City and Guilds? or can you be quite flexible?
    Your student's learning style will be very similar to mine I would think, lots of hands on sessions with little text book learning - they would much rather do than sit/read/write!
    Your departments use of video clips is great, hopefully you have had positive feedback from the student learners?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my personal learning style, and I want to say it is the same for nursing students but I think I am biased because it is my style. This section is clear and I think your mode of delivery suits this topic well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Helen,
    the learning outcomes will be quite flexible, for the unit standard the learning outcomes where focused on storage and storekeeping. My focus will be on costing, labour and overhead control. This is where attention needs to be directed for our trainees. This is what our industry tells us they want, and was lacking when (not that long ago) I was controling kitchens.
    Thanks for commenting Ruth,
    this learning style would suit 90% of chef students, it fits our course.

    ReplyDelete