Monday, September 14, 2009

Over-view of Food costing

Food Costing Over-view

Industry expects chefs to be familiar with multi-cultural, nutritious and often complex food styles.
This being the case the Chef must have a sound knowledge of procurement of all commodities that come into his/her kitchen as well as be able to control food yields, labour and overhead costs.

The specifics of the food operation will determine how intensive the costing procedures have to be, for example a large hotel with many different outlets may have a whole department dedicated to food and beverage control. A hospital with a cyclical menu will have set cost percentages per head allocated against forecasts, while a small owner, operator might use a simple XL spread sheet system.
Which ever business you are involved with one simple rule applies: “If you don’t make a profit you won’t stay in business”
Your food costing system must consider.
• Intensive planning of your menu to suit your market.
• Well planned purchasing procedures.
• Safe storage controls.
• Standardized recipe cards.
• Up to date cost pricing.
• Correct wastage and yield calculations.
• Portion control.
• Stock taking.
• And most importantly staff training.
This last point I emphasize because of past experience, you may have the best control plan possible but without the correct training to implement the procedures it would be very unlikely to be of use.

Consider also the importance of local and national food safety regulations on your overhead and labour costing.

Activity one:
Please give an over-view of a restaurant menu from your context.
Give the location of your restaurant, (fictitious or actual) how it would meet the local markets needs,
the type of menu. (Refer to menu classifications)
Then compile a menu comprising of at least 12 items with selling prices.

Print a hard copy of this menu with written over-view and submit for marking.
We will discuss the actual cost of your menu at our next session.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - a really detailed decription of the activity the students are to perform - can you give us an idea of the learning outcome(s) that this meets? This was the focus of our Friday workshop and I am looking at other's ideas to try and help me with mine!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is in development but I read the overview as though I were a beginning student then I looked at the activity and I thought is that all you want me to do after reading all the things I should include. Would an introduction, with the activity first, such as this is a starter activity, you don't have to consider food costing at this point in time but construct a menu.... We will return to that menu and explore it in terms of (followed by your list).
    I thought the list of considerations for costing was really clear, and given the learning style you suggest for your students I would like to be able to click on each item in the list and be referred to something to read (brief) about each and what I need specifically to consider. That I think is the great thing about the flexible delivery mode, not being bogged down in long turgid prose but able to clarify concepts as you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth,
    thanks for that, I am looking at this delivery from the view that my students are final year catering students, I should pull back a little and concider this should be able to be used by any level of student. I really like the idea of the link to a brief for each topic to be concidered.
    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete